Sunday, August 2, 2009

It been a long time... NYS Wines Intro

Recently I've come to the realization that I have let some good things go to the wayside. One of which is my online tasting notes. In an attempt to regain some creativity in an increasingly mundane job I've decided to resume my online notes. So I've poured myself a glass of Trimbach Gewurztraminer and without further ado, I'd like to begin this week's tasting notes.

Rather recently I helped my wife write a wine article for the Buffalo News. While it was alot of fun and I received a decent amount of good responses from my participation one minor criticism remained with me. I had given the people of Buffalo a list of about 15 wines from regions outside of New York State. So as a bit of redemption, and while I collect and taste through local wines from both the Niagara Escarpment and Finger Lake wineries I decided to start with a little gem from Long Island that I found a few years ago. Pindar Pythagoras NV is a classic Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec that retails for around $14. Traditionally New York State wines are known for their white wine, specifically Riesling and Vidal Blanc, however, the red varietals on Long Island benefit from the same coastal weather conditions that is evident in cool weather Washington State wines. Pindar is a one of the wineries that is responsible for the uprising of the wine industry in Long Island. Long Island wines are bunched among a region called the Benchlands. This is a sandy and rocky sandstone wine region that was left by drifting glaciers thousands of years ago. While this vintage of Pythagoras celebrates the 20th anniversary of the winery, Pindar does not put a vintage date on the bottle. This light ruby wine exhibits essences of strawberry, black cherry, cocoa, cream, eucalyptus and raspberry. Pythagoras is a medium bodied red berry flavored wine with a sharp acidic light cranberryesque finish and a long oaky outro. Try pairing this wine with a barbecued duck confit sandwich with cilantro cole slaw and five year cheddar biscuits. For more information on Pindar or to order some wine from their fantastic portfolio please visit www.pindar.net

Thanks again for your time and remember to keep an open eye and an open mind. See you real soon.

No comments: