Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Special Edition Beers .... Allagash Musette & Ithaca Beer Company "Ten"

I thought that since it's summer and more importantly beer drinking weather I'd keep the momentum going by reviewing a few more beers. The following beers are edition beers of which their production is limited and closely monitored. Each bottle is numbered by someone at the brewery indicating it is indeed a special edition beer. Most beers that go through this process are experimental beers created by the brew master with extra care. In the beer world this is the equivalent to a private reserve.

Maine can be an unforgiving place. The weather and the terrain are arduous at times, which makes perfect sense why Allagash Brewing Company concentrates on complex Belgian style beers. Allagash Musette (retail $16 for a 750mL bottle) is surely a unique beer. The beer is supposed to resemble a scotch ale but none that I have ever tasted. The flavor profile is contributed to the fact that Allagash barrel ages this brew. Half of the final batch is fermented in stainless steel while the other half is fermented and aged in used oak bourbon barrels. Each of the batches are dated and numbered. As you can see in the photo attached my bottle was bottled in August 2006 and was one of 419 cases (Musette is packed in 6 packs). The website suggests drinking this beer at about 55 degrees and I would agree with that suggestion. I originally made the mistake of drinking this beer at about 45 degrees and there was a distinct flavor difference from when I made it to the bottom of the bottle. Allagash Mussette is muddy and light brown offering aromas of nut, brown sugar, coffee, and caramel. This full-bodied ale is smooth upfront with a long mocha tinged slightly off dry finish. I wouldn't suggest throwing back a six pack of this stuff. At 10% ABV this Belgian brew will surely sneak up on you. I suggest pairing this beer with quiche Lorraine and broccoli florettes in Bearnaise. Allagash offers alot of great beers and I'm sure I'll revisit this brewery again, but, until then if you're looking for some information on their beers or are planning a visit to their Portland brewery check out this link:www.allagash.com/.

Every now and then I go someplace and when I return home I wish I had seen one last thing. Recently I was checking out some wineries near Ithaca, New York, (that review will be posted soon) and at the time never thought to check out the Ithaca Brewing Company while I was in the area. Trust me my wife would have been ecstatic considering one of her favorite beers is the Ithaca Apricot Wheat. The good news is that Ithaca is only about a three hour drive from Buffalo. The bad news is that for those out of state readers it is only available in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Ohio, New Jersey and Connecticut. "Ten" is a Double Red Ale from the Exclusior series of beers from the Ithaca Beer Company. This small batch beer celebrates the ten years of operation for the brewery. Much like the Musette, 50 degrees is an optimal serving temp for this opaque brick hued beer. The nose on this gem offered walnuts, hops, cocoa, and fig. On the palate this beer was full-bodied and slightly off-dry with complex flavors on the mid-palate leading to a malty and creamy tinged finish with a nice lingering burst of hoppiness on the outro. This beer will creep up on you as well with a whopping ABV of 10.1%. In my wife's words, "This beer is strong". Ithaca Brewing Company uses only small batches on this unfiltered hand-packaged bottle fermented beer. It truly is a special beer because each bottle is unique. Unlike their mass produced brother en there may be some slight inconsistency from bottle to bottle. I would pair this beer with barbecue ribs and butter poached brussel sprouts. For more information on this up and coming brewery please visit:www.ithacabeer.com.

As always, I would love to hear what you've been drinking and some of your thoughts on new and inter sting products. Thanks again for taking the time to read this blog and remember to keep an open mind and an open eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!